Saturday, January 26, 2013

Thankful for the Little Things

So a couple days ago we got a notice on our front door that our water would be shut off in order to make some repairs in the area, which basically meant, we're redesigning part of the golf course right across from your house and we're doing something with the water lines to improve it.  Yeah, kind of annoying, especially since I don't golf and could care less how the golf course looks or functions.  But, I was not consulted in the matter, so, oh well.  In any case, the notice said the water would be off from 8 am till 4 pm, kind of an annoying time frame because I don't usually get up till around 8, but I figured getting up an hour or so earlier wouldn't kill me.  I honestly wasn't all that concerned because I was supposed to be working for most that time frame.

So on Thursday, I got up a bit earlier to get a shower and all and get breakfast and pretty much right at 8 the water was turned off.  Again like I said, I wasn't too concerned because I was supposed to be working from 10 till 4.  Well, at 9 I get a call from my manager saying that its supposed to be a really slow day and I don't need to come in.  You're kidding me right?!  Nope, so I was basically stuck at home all day cause I didn't have anywhere I needed to go or anything.  So I did some cleaning in my room and then I thought, oh, hey, I can start a load of laundry.  I proceeded to sort my laundry and had actually put it in the machine when I suddenly remembered, oh, yeah, no water, crap!  So I figured, okay, never mind I won't do laundry.  It was about noon so I decided to have some lunch.  I grilled some chicken, sauteed some zucchini and was good to go.  It was really good, by the way.  Once I finished eating I got ready to do the dishes, and turned the faucet on, and...no water came out.  Oh, yeah, forgot again.  So basically for the rest of the day till 4, I kept finding myself doing these things that required water and then realizing that, oh, right, no water, can't do this after all.

I cannot tell you how relieved I was when the water came back on at 4.  While the whole thing was pretty darned annoying, it also made me realize how thankful I was for something as simple as being able to turn on a faucet and have running water, to be able to flush a toilet, to be able to put my laundry in a machine and have it wash my clothes.  It also made me think about how we've become so reliant on modern technology.  There are so many people in the world who don't have running water, who literally have to go and get water from a well or somewhere else, yet when our faucets and whatnot don't work, we freak out.  I was kind of ashamed of myself for complaining when there are those people out there who don't have that luxury.  It was just a reminder to me to be thankful for something as simple as running water and just to remember to be thankful for the other little things in life.

1 comment:

  1. It is always good for me to remember the little things. How soon we forget that none of these luxuries are required for us to live! I'm a new follower. God lead me here so there!... I've also nominated you for the Liebster award!

    http://m00ngl0w.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-1st-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...