Monday, February 11, 2013

Dancing With God

 Since I've started this blog, I've had a number of people ask me where I got the title and why I chose it.  The simple answer is that one of the things I absolutely love to do is dance, particularly ballroom dance, and, well, God is perfect and you always wish for the perfect dance partner, so why not dance with God?  That's the short and simple answer that's easy to give.  The long answer, the deeper reason, has always been harder for me to describe.  I don't know why, but it always has been which frustrates me, because the reason I chose that title is not simply for the reason I gave, though obviously that's part of it.  But that's just the surface, the rest is much deeper.

So I always struggled with that, until fairly recently when, quite by accident, I found a website with an e-mail that someone had published that perfectly described why I so loved those words. 

“When I meditated on the word Guidance,
I kept seeing "dance" at the end of the word.

I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing.

When two people try to lead, nothing feels right.

The movement doesn't flow with the music,

and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky.

When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead,

both bodies begin to flow with the music.

One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back

or by pressing Lightly in one direction or another.

It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully.

The dance takes surrender, willingness,

and attentiveness from one person

and gentle guidance and skill from the other.

My eyes drew back to the word
Guidance .
When I saw "G": I thought of God, followed by "u" and "i".

"God, "u" and "i" dance."

God, you, and I dance.

As I lowered my head, I became willing to trust

that I would get
guidance about my life.
Once again, I became willing to let God lead.

May you abide in God, as God abides in you.
Dance together with God, trusting God to lead
to guide you through each season of your life. 


And I Hope You Dance!”

Why I always had so much trouble putting what I felt into words still boggles me, but this is the bigger reason as to why I chose the title.  Though, granted, I still think more of the word "lead" than "guidance", but in this context they're nearly the same.  Because for me, that title is in many ways a reminder to myself that if I am truly dancing with God, I will let Him lead and that requires trust, a lot of trust.  If you've ever danced before, you know that the woman, or follow, has to have a lot of faith and trust in the man, or lead, to make sure that they not only dance well, but also stay safe.  Its the lead's job to guide his partner on the dance floor, to make sure they're not going to run over or bump into anyone or anything.  And even more trust is required when you get into dances like the Argentine Tango or Lindy Hop where its not just steps but also, oftentimes, lifts as well.  Its vital that the follow trust the lead, because if she doesn't, well, then you got a problem.

You can't have two leads, trust me, it gets very confusing and confused dancing isn't fluid or beautiful or fun.  So if I'm too dance with God, I have to let Him lead, which I, like many other people, struggle with.  In my mind, I think I know what's best for me.  I've always struggled with trusting people and its so much easier for me to trust myself than to put myself, my heart, on the line and trust someone else, because if I trust myself and completely screw up, well, I have only myself to blame.  But if I trust someone else and it all ends in a mess, then I have a broken heart and myself to blame.  Like most people, I'd rather skip the hurt and sadness of a broken heart and just stick with blaming myself.  But the thing is, God isn't like everyone else.  He is the only one who will never break your heart because He is the one who heals broken hearts.

So whenever I see those words, dancing with God, it reminds me to put all my trust in Him, no matter how hard it is, because He knows what's best for me, not me.  And God is the perfect partner and dancing with Him is beautiful, inspiring, thrilling, and absolutely the most amazing thing you will ever do.  So trust God.  Stop trying to take the lead, trust wholly in Him.

Imagine it like the scene from Beauty and the Beast.  The King waiting at the bottom of the stairs, His eyes shining with love as He watches you walk down wearing the most beautiful gown imaginable because you are His precious child, you are His princess.  He bows and you curtsey before He takes your hand, leading you to the ballroom.  He leads you to the middle of the floor, then gently pulls you into His arms, and one step at a time, trusting that He will not let you falter, that He will show you the way to go, you dance with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...