Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Power of a Smile

Earlier this evening while out running some errands I decided to pick up dinner at Dion's.  Not necessarily the best choice, but I really wanted a Dion's salad so I went.  I called in my order as I was heading over then decided to just go through the drive-thru as that was faster than going in.  Now I'll admit that I get Dion's food more than I probably should, so I generally know the couple of girls who are typically on drive-thru when I happen to drop by.

In any case, when I pulled up it was one of the girls that I recognized.  I smiled at her, chatted for a moment, then told her my order.  As she was ringing me up, she suddenly stuck her head out the window and asked me if I would like a drink on the house.  Now I have been going to Dion's since I was kid and I have never once had anyone ask me if I wanted a free drink.  I think she could tell I was kind of shocked cause she laughed and said she was offering because I was one of the nicest customers she had ever served and I always smiled and said thank you.  She said that it was surprising how few people did that and that I had made her night by coming by and being so friendly.  I accepted the drink and she got it for me, gave me my food, and after thanking her, I headed for home.

On the drive home I thought about what had happened.  I was still kind of surprised.  I hadn't been trying to be super friendly or anything, it just seemed natural to be polite and to smile.  I was glad though that that simple gesture had touched her and had made her night better.  It just reminded me that even the smallest gesture of kindness can affect someone, can touch their heart.  I think its a good reminder for all of us.  A smile can seem like such a little thing and oftentimes not worth putting out the effort to do, but I think the effects are well worth the effort. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...