Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Because of A Knife

Isn't it funny the things that bring people together again?  There's that person that you've had a falling out with or you just grew apart or something happened, and you figure that it's all over, nothing is ever going to change that, and in some cases, maybe you don't want it to change.  I had that happen recently.  If you had told me six months ago that I would be talking with ex BFF, trying to hang out and sitting next to each other, I would have told you to go have your head examined.  No lie.  And if you had told me that the even that would cause us to really start talking would be me going to her house to borrow a knife, I would have sent you to an institution.

But that is exactly what happened.  My best friend and I hadn't talked, civilly or at any length for probably one to two years, although in more recent times, really since my grandfather's death, we'd actually talked a few times.  But what changed everything was the day we were at our house in Edgewood, finishing packing for our move and we realized we hadn't brought a knife to cut our sandwich.  So my mom had me call, hmm, I'll call her Mary. though if you know me, you probably know who it is anyway.  Anyway, so my mom had me call Mary and ask her if I could borrow a knife.  She said sure so I headed next door to pick up the knife.

That quick trip to pick up a knife turned into an almost hour long conversation with her and her younger sister.  My grandmother had to call me to tell me to get home.

And returning the knife, well that turned into another thirty minutes of chatting and what not.  And in some ways, it was like nothing had changed.  We laughed over random stuff and it seemed like we still had that understanding we used to have which in my opinion is a miracle since we had a really bad falling out.

But God is good and I think He knew that I really needed her and my other old best friend back in my life again.  Still I will never get over how He made it happen.  My grandfather's death was one of the most painful things that has ever happened to me, actually probably the most painful.  I never thought anything good could come of it, but God in His Sovereignty has done the impossible.  And now we're moving forward with our friendship again.  All because of a knife.

1 comment:

  1. The Lord can do the most amazing things with something so small and insignificant. Makes me wonder what He'll do with me.

    ReplyDelete



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...