Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover

Yup, we've all heard it, we've all said it, but the majority of the time, we don't live it and I am certainly no exception.  I just started sophomore year of college after taking a year off to just kind of collect myself and figure out what I want to do with my life.  I'd spent my first year at a tiny college in a tiny town and I hated it and didn't fit in anywhere.  Now I was going to a big college in a big city and hoping that it would be different.  And I've been there three days and I am absolutely loving it.  I take back that smaller colleges are always gonna be better.  Apparently not for me.

So, in any case, when I was in Portales, they had a Baptist Student Union (BSU) there.  My boyfriend at that time encouraged me to go, so I did.  I hated it.  Everything felt kind of insincere in a way.  Sure the place was packed, but I knew that probably half the people there went out drinking every other night, a bunch of them slept with a different person every night.  They all claimed to be Christians, but they weren't living like Christians.  Still, I tried it out for a couple weeks, but I just didn't click with it and when the leader of the BSU decided to throw in a few cuss words during one of his teachings, I was done.  I swore I would never go to another BSU again.

So, now fast forward about a year or so and a good friend of mine mentions that I should try going to a summer study that the BSU was having.  I decided to give it a go, and even though the evening I went wasn't actually a teaching since they had a guest missionary there, the whole atmosphere and everything was way different.  And then, there was last night, my first official night checking out the BSU.  Let me just say the difference between the two BSU's is like night and day.  I don't think I've met a friendlier group of people in my life.  I think half the group there came over and introduced themselves.  The worship, was absolutely incredible.  One night and already I felt like I sort of belonged, like I'd found some place I could fit in in that big campus and I was and am completely thrilled.

I felt like this was just God's reminder to me to give things another go, cause, you never know what could happen.  He just might surprise you. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...