Thursday, August 4, 2011

Complete Only in Him

Last week, I had the incredible opportunity to attend a camp called Regeneration in Glorieta, New Mexico.  I'd heard of the camp before, but it was the first time that my youth group had decided to go.  All I can say, is wow!  Everything about that week was amazing.  The preaching, the games, the preaching, the people, the preaching, the worship, the preaching...  Okay, you get the picture.

God taught me a lot of things that week, but one thing really stood out.  If you know me, then you know that I am a complete romantic.  Somehow, over the past year or so, my goal has become finding a new boyfriend.  Yeah, pretty pathetic.  I felt that somehow, life and everything would get so much better if I did have a  boyfriend.  I know there are others out there who feel the exact same way.  Basically, in other words, I thought a boyfriend would complete me.

So, what changed my mind?  Well, I'm not going to actually say that my mind has completely changed.  It's a work in progress.  But what began the change was a combination of one of the sermons I heard and a book I started reading.  I'll start with the sermon first.

On our third day at Regeneration, we were given a choice of listening to two sermons out of a potential ten.  I ended up going to one called Romeo and Juliet taught by Rick Holland.  This was truly an incredible sermon.  One of the things he said that struck me was "Wait and  Hurry Up."  What he meant by this was to wait for now, don't just jump into a relationship, but once you've found the right person who God has made for you, then hurry up and get married.  I liked that idea.  One of the other things he said and what has become the core thought for me was this:  "You need to be content with the Lord, cause if you're not content with Him, you will be lonely in your relationship."  God really hammered that into my brain.

The book that basically cemented this into my brain  is one called Lady in Waiting:  Becoming God's Best While Waiting for Mr. Right.  When I ordered this book from CBD, several months ago, I know nothing about it.  I had never heard of it, nothing, but the title sounded good, so I got it anyway.  And even though I've just started it, I think it's a book that every single girl should read.  But, let me just get to the main point.  What this book strives to get into your head, almost from the very first page, is that we cannot find true completeness in a boyfriend, a husband, or having kids.  Only God, in His grace, can truly complete.  But so often we do look for completeness in a man or our careers.  The kind of completeness you might find there is only superficial and won't last.

The other point that struck me is that our single years are our best years to serve God.  We don't have to worry about a boyfriend or a family, so we can simply focus on serving God!  That got me because in more recent years, since I did start dating my first boyfriend and after our break up when I was determined to find a new guy, I really haven't been serving God all that much.  I used to go on mission trips or do other activities where I could minister to people.  I really haven't been doing that much.  Although part of that has been due to some changes within my church, in truth, if I had truly wanted to serve God with all my heart, with "reckless abandonment" as my book calls it, then I could have found a church that was sending out missionaries, or put together a group to go out and witness to homeless people or something.  But my heart was not focused on God, it was focused on me and how I might be able to find completeness.

So, for now, with God's help, I'm giving up boys.  Or, rather, I'm giving up looking at every single guy I might meet as a potential boyfriend.  I'm going to focus rather on cultivating my relationships as spiritual siblings first as Rick Holland said.  And I'm going to focus on serving God.  Is it going to be easy?  No.  I know it could be a very long time before I'm in a relationship again.  But I do trust that God has a perfect plan and He has someone in store for me.  I just have to wait for His timing.  I have to keep in mind that I can't find completeness in anyone or anything, regardless of what anyone else might tell me.  I can only find completeness in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...